Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let's hear it for the boys!

Christmas is but 10 days away, and I've never had such lack luster holiday spirit.  Maybe it's the lack of snow on the ground... maybe it's the lack of gift-buying money in my wallet... or maybe it's that damn radio commericial that keeps telling me "85% of people gain weight over the holidays."  Nothing screams happy holidays like constant fear of destroying four and a half months of weight loss... I'm now weighing in between 196.1 and 198.8 lbs, and I'll be damned if I sabotage that progress (total loss ranging from 22.8 to 25.5lbs)!  And as for that holiday weight-gain statistic (well, statistics in general), my friend Michelle once told me 70% of statistics are inaccurate.

Oh, lord.  The woman on this week's episode of What Not to Wear  is selfconscious about her height.  She said, "I'm already 5'10" or 5'11," so heels put me over 6' and I feel freakish."  If being 6' tall makes me freakish, just call me and all the fabulously large people in my life a pile of mutants!  Why would anyone ever feel insecure about being long, lean and all together superior to others?  Sure, we tall people will allegedly live shorter lives (yet another likely inaccurate statistic), but I find this to be a trade-off for the exceptional quality of our tall-lives.  But in all seriousness, this What Not to Wear  participant is just another example of a woman unhappy with her body... even women who aren't selfconscious about their weight will find some physical feature to perseverate over.  It's exhausting, really.

I also find my constant preaching about women and "our" issues quite exhausting (as I'm sure y'all do).  I've realized that in my women's rights "crusade" I've neglected the issues and injustices relating to other groups of people and particularly men.  Many issues aren't really specific to men or women... last Pledge I said that men don't perseverate over the weight thing like women.  What I should have said is that men aren't likely to do so as frequently.  But how can I actually know such a thing?  When it comes to weight and body image, sure,  men aren't likely to talk  about such things.  Struggling with weight, perhaps like being a victim of sexual assault (on a much different, yet somehow similar level), is largely considered a "female thing."  While men suffer from similar matters, they're proably too ashamed to talk about their experiences.  Men are taught that to struggle with and even talk about such matters is emasculating.  While men may may struggle with weight and body dysmorphia less frequently than women, it seems especially difficult  as they feel they can't talk about it.  Not that it's an easy thing for women to talk about, but at least our femininity isn't put into question. 

In an effort to quit preaching in circles, let's talk about the exceptional men in my life!  Just as I constantly ramble about women's issues and ignore how these same matters might affect men, I often praise the strong women in my life and fail to salute the inspiring men around me.  So here's to my gay-boyfriends!  You know who you are, and I hope you also know how much I appreciate your love, support and thoughtfulness.  And let us not forget the exceptional straight men in my life... here's to those of you who remind me that you're not all bad.  And a very special shout-out to my father -- a man who at one time lived with four very strong women and ultimately helped raise three independent daughters.           

You're probably wondering when I started taking myself and this damn blog so seriously... maybe now that I'm no longer eating like a 12-year-old (spaghetti, pizza-bagels, PB&Js, mac n' cheese, etc.) I'm acting less like one. Hahaha not likely!  Speaking of my inner child, she's curious about the meaning of some Christmas carols.  Let's talk "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause."  Is Santa in this song actually the kid's dad?! And has every body always known this?!  I sure as hell haven't. How about "Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer"... Grandpa clearly killed grandma and is trying to blame Santa, right?!  "You can say there's no such thing as Santa, but as for me and Grandpa we believe!"

Well, here's hoping my weekend trip to the 715 will get me in the Christmas spirit!  I can only imagine the goodies that await me... peanut butter blosoms, carmel puff corn, almond-bark pretzels, and so on and so on.  Here's to that 15% of us who won't put on any holiday pounds! 

While World AIDS Day was observed over two weeks ago (December 1st), I would like to pay my belated respects in quoting the late Ryan White.  White, having been expelled from his middle school because of his infection, was somewhat of an American poster child for HIV/AIDS in the 80s.  While White was only given six months to live, he lived five years longer than anticipated.  White is also the first male I have chosen to conclude The Pledge of Glory.

"AIDS can destroy a family if you let it, but luckily for my sister and me, Mom taught us to keep going.  Don't give up, be proud of who you are and never feel sorry for yourself." -- Ryan White

Love. Peace. GAGAerobics.

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment