Monday, October 24, 2011

'Tis hard to teach a fat dog healthy tricks.

I went rollerblading last week in the beautiful farm country that surrounds Madison.  On this oh-so-crisp fall day,  I got on the amazingly smooth path and flew.  I thought I was blading so fast because of my newly rotated wheels, but I found out 30 minutes later it was definitely the gusty wind at my back.  When I turned around to head back, I could hardly move.  Standing 6'4" on blades and weighing roughly 208.6 lbs (where has all the progress gone?!), I may be the least aerodynamic woman in the world.  Rollerblading in the wind felt nearly impossible.  At one point I was so exhausted I just turned around and let the wind push me... the powerful gusts would've pushed me as far as I wanted to go, but I soon did an about-face after deciding I'd just have further windy blading to go upon turning around.   

As I slowly bladed home, I realized how much blading in the wind is like my Pledge of Glory efforts.  When I first began the Pledge, I was incredibly well behaved (in terms of my diet) and totally on board (in terms of my work out routine).  The results were desirable and came on quickly.  Much like rollerblading with the wind at your back, The Pledge of Glory was fun and even enjoyable.  But the wind won't always be at your back, and you'll eventually have to turn around. 

The week following the 2 month anniversary of the Pledge of Glory (Oct. 9-16) was that turn-around point for me.  For whatever reason, I let myself drink (and not in moderation) three times at the beginning of that week.  And every night I got a little buzzed, I deemed it necessary to also stuff myself with late-night, slightly drunken food.... three nights in a row.  By Thursday of that week, The Pledge of Glory had gotten so difficult for me I decided to take a break from it all together.  Knowing that everybody and my sister (literally) would be coming to Madison to take part in copious eating and drinking that coming weekend, I decided it was as good a time as any to take a Pledge-vacation.  I was completely exhausted from rollerblading into the wind, so I decided to turn around and let the gusts push me.  And lord, can it be fun to let the wind take you!

But like I said earlier, when the wind's at your back and your just coasting along, you'll eventually come to your senses.... at some point you'll realize that the further you let the wind take you, the further you'll have to blade into  it upon turning around.  You have to get home eventually, so the sooner you turn around the better.  For the Pledge of Glory, "home" is my 40 lb goal.  I have to get there eventually, so what's the sense in letting the wind take me further in the wrong direction?

So while the Pledge-vaction was fun and much needed, when Monday, October 17th came along I was ready to hop back on the GAGA-wagon.  It was like I was starting the Pledge all over again... I still feel incredibly back on board and so re-commited.  My eating habits are back on track, and the exercise portion of the Pledge is as consistent as it's ever been. With my Pledge-vacation I'd even taken a break from blogging, but I'm now back with a vengeance!  Once you woman-up and decide to face the wind, you will get some of that momentum back.

I have been between 206 and 210 pounds since the beginning of October.  After getting fed up with rollerblading into the wind, I'm back at it.  I haven't forgotten about The Hauser Sister 10lb Thanksgiving Challenge, and I'm still convinced I can get under 200 by that glorious holiday.   Perhaps it's a steap goal, but I'm shooting for the stars and hoping to at least land among them.  When I get discouraged (and I do... especially when the scale read 208.6lbs yesterday), I remember how good I feel about my increasingly svelte self.  In fact, I went shopping last night with my friend Morgan and had a blast.  Morgan now works at the Buckle, of all places, and I let her bring me pair of jeans, after pair of jeans, after pair of jeans.  Prior to this little shopping excursion, I was convinced that store had nothing for people my size.  But they do, and a once tyring and painful experience was no longer such an emotional process.  Here's to hitting a plateau and still feeling good about the Pledge!   

And here's hoping I'll be able to get into bars in my Judas inspired GAGA-ween costume!  I'll literally be wearing boy-short panties over my fishnets... so hopefully this is viewed as "appropriate" attire.  I mean, GAGA goes everywhere pant-less.  Why can't I?!

"I say if you got it, flaunt it.  You gotta show off that bunt cake!" --  a cow from one of those California milk commercials I hate so much... nevertheless, some very wise words! 

Love. Peace. GAGAerobics. 

Jackie

1 comment:

  1. good job jackie! two steps forward and one step back will get you there as long as you keep going forward, very proud. and plateaus happen sometimes. also, can't wait to see an update new picture of you on the blog...in a halloween costume maybe?

    ReplyDelete